Interior shutters are among the most beneficial window coverings you can choose for your home. However, like all window covering options, shutters will have both their pros and cons. Consequently, these window coverings may not be right for everyone. Taking the time to review both the good and the bad features outlined below can help you to determine whether or not interior shutters are right for you and your home.
There are several benefits associated with the use of interior window shutters. These benefits include:
- Customization - The fact that interior shutters are typically made from solid wood allows these window coverings to be easily customized to fit any size or shape window opening. The cosmetic appearance of these shutters can also be customized over the years by simply adding a fresh coat of wood stain or paint.
- Longevity - With proper maintenance, interior shutters can easily last as long as you own your home.
- Energy Efficiency - Solid wood shutters provide an additional layer of insulation for your windows helping to prevent the transfer out outdoor temperatures into your home, as well as preventing the tempertures inside your home from escaping. This feature can result in significantly lower heating and cooling bills each month.
There are also some disadvantages that you should be aware of when choosing this window covering option. These disadvantages include:
- Cost - Due to their solid wood construction, interior shutters will often be considerably more expensive than the other window covering options the market has to offer, such as window blinds. However, it is important to remember that while these shutters may cost more upfront, they can save you money over time in the way of reduced replacement and energy costs.
- Maintenance - Wood shutters will need to resealed every few years in order to prevent them from rotting, warping, or cracking due to moisture. These shutters may also need to be treated with pesticides in order to prevent pest infestations. For some homeowners, these maintenance requirements will be a serious disadvantage.
The Bottom Line
While interior window shutters will prove to be the most beneficial window covering option for many homeowners, they will not be right for everyone. For instance, individuals who are on a tight budget or who are unable to commit to the regular maintenance of their window coverings will likely find that shutters are not the right choice for them. For more information regarding the pros and cons of interior shutters or to discuss other options for custom shutters, be sure to contact a contractor in your local area as soon as possible.Share